Bali Cooking Lesson – Medicine Herbs
The many uses Of Lemon Grass,,, Lemon grass is one of the useful herbs people can benefit from in a varitey of ways. What most people do not know is that lemon grass is one of the most commonly used herbs in almost every civilization.
Other names for the lemon grass are cymbopogon, lemongrass or fever grass.The lemon grass is a native of the Old World for it ideally grows in the warm and temperate tropics. This is basically a tall perennial grass that has 55 species at present.Here are some of the uses of the lemon grasstoday.
Ingredient in Dishes
- The lemon grass or Cymbopogon ciatrus is known for its use in cooking, especially for most cuisines of Asian countries like Thailand and Vietnam.
- Meal enthusiasts will surely appreciate the use of this tropical grass in bringing about an aromatic detail to dishes.
- The flavor of the lemon grass can be achieved whether it is used fresh, dried or powdered.
- The stalk is hard but it can be easily chopped finely to be added to your recipe. It can also be cooked as it is and let it release its oils for aromatic endeavors.
- People can also use lemon grass in their teas, curries and soups. It can suit easily any poultry or seafood dishes.
- This is especially significant for most South East Asian dishes as the flavor of the lemon grass helps balance the hot chillies that are staples in most cuisine.
Scents and Aromas
Aside from cooking, it can also be used for other purposes. In India, the lemon grass can be utilized as element in perfumes.
Most people may be familiar to citronella which is actually another popular name for lemon grass. The citronella is a common element for supporting the scents of soaps, perfumes and candles.
Citronella is also used as mosquito repellent. Even dogs are known to dislike the scent of citronella, making it an effective tool to keep away the pets in areas where they are not supposed to go.
The Palmarosa species of the lemon grass has distinct sweet-smelling oil that can be of significant use in aromatherapy. It has a calming effect that can relieve the stress and tension in the body. One can enjoy the relaxing mood effect by the lemon grass by using it in massage or during bath.
However, caution must be taken to only use this in low dilution. This is not very advisable too to people who have high risks to skin allergy.
In some instances, the lemon grass can even be utilized as a mild depressant.
The lemon grass also has good effects to the body. It can help significantly in detoxifying the organs in the digestive system like the pancreas, kidney, bladder and liver. This is made possible because the lemon grass aids in cutting down the cholesterol, uric acid and toxins in the system.
At the same time, this helps in stimulating digestion and blood circulation.
Consequently, gastroenteritis and indigestion can be avoided. In some countries, lemon grass is even used to minimize the pimples and acne on the face.
Lemon grass may sound and look very ordinary to you but there are many wonders you can get from this plant. So get to know lemon grass better and it may just be the answer to one of your needs today.
Articel by http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/discover-the-many-uses-of-lemon-grass-91834.html